are you sure you wanna delete these 11 items?

Saturday, November 1 at 9:33 PM
Movies.

Okay. Here are more. (It's 2am. Why am I doing this?)
WARNING. Spoilers.

I'll do them alphabetically.

Disney's Aladdin
You'll be encountering more Disney movies as you scroll down. I decided to (download and) watch them because of Ms. Magallona. She showed us a clip of Beauty and the Beast, and I was amazed by it. So I decided to watch some animated Disney musicals.

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. However amazing Robin Williams is as the Genie, I didn't find myself liking the character. I think it's because he made too much movie violations. Actually, the whole movie was filled with violations. What violations? The Suspension of Disbelief. I found it quite annoying to see American this, future that, Disney this and whatever. Magic carpets and communicating with tigers and monkeys, I can still believe, but throw in flying flamingos with (supposedly-funny) human facial expressions in the supposedly most romantic part of the film? Hello?

I agree on Roger Ebert (a film reviewer... probably my idol) in that Aladdin and Jasmine are too American in features where everyone was very Arabic. But I disagree in the what he states as the lack of chemistry... they suit each other well.

The songs. They were very memorable.
What I didn't like was Friend Like Me. Why? Again, suspension of disbelief. But I guess this movie was made for the kids. A more fun type of movie rather than a romantic one. And I guess it delivers on that.

Babel
First of all... before hearing about this film, I always pronounced it as bAbel. I didn't know it's actuall babel. (Or are they being maarte lang?)

This film got me bored at parts and really interested at other parts. I guess I can blame both the language barrier and the country-bias I have.

What I most related to was the story of the Japanese girl. She's deaf and she wants acceptance (and some sex). Basic theme. Beautiful portrayal. She really deserves her Oscar nomination. I think I liked it most because of the weakness factor. I'm a sucker for racism-sterotypes-disabilities-etc type of movies. Hahaha. But really. The story was wonderful and I enjoyed it the most. (I also loved the disco scene.)

The second storyline I liked the most was the Spanish woman's. She's a babysitter who can't let go of the children she's taking care of. (Parents are busy... to be explained later) She needs to go to her son's wedding in Mexico, so she brings them along. It was going well until they return back to the States and the border police get in the way. I guess I liked this one since it was Latin and second because of the children. Again, the woman deserves her Oscar nomination. The story was tragic and her plight was really well-portrayed.

The other two storylines take part in the Middle East and mostly bored me. Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett play a couple on vacation wherein the latter gets shot. bored me to death. Their story wasn't as interesting. I got annoyed when they wouldn't let the bus people go. I got annoyed with them. Period. The only interesting scene was the peeing scene just because you can see the love of the husband for the wife. And that's it.
Just to mention... they're the parents of the two kids who have the Mexican nanny. As such, they cannot attend to their children.

The second one is about a middle eastern child who accidentally shoots an American. This causes destruction within his family and in the world. (middle eastern-American relations) The only parts that interested me were (1) the child's discoveries--which shows he still is growing up and maturing--and (2) the escape scene.

Basically. It's a good film. It showcased a lot of stuff. It has good stories.
But for me... not everything is worth the hype. It's got some good points. It's got its weakenesses. And basically, it'll be boring if you can't find your own connection to it.

Disney's Beauty and the Beast
I wish it won the Oscar. That was an enchanting love story. It really was. It's not only a kid-thing. It's something more. It's a marvel. Just... wow.

And it's a genuine musical. I mean... Menken and Ashman. That's like... wow. You can really see the quality just from the first song, Belle. (which, by the way, was the clip Ms. Magallona showed. the clip that made me download the Disney movies) Surprising to note all the voices can sing: they didn't need singing voices. (take Mulan for example: Ming Na plays the acting voice while Lea Salonga does the singing voices)

It really was romantic. There was real chemistry... and to think they're cartoon characters.

And the comedic inserts were cool as well. They weren't forced in. Neither were they out of place. *ehemaladdinehem*

Crash
Again, another racism film. Haha! This one was a mighty good film.
It's got a lot of (good) storylines so I won't detail on all of them.

I guess the strongest mark made was on the Matt Dillon-Thandie Newton relation. Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! I wish Dillon won the Oscar.

Michael Pena's part was amazing. I really felt for his character. Grabe. What a wow.

Don Cheadle and his mother's part. Grabe. Another really strong scene. Really heart-wrenching. Amazing. Amazing.

Ryan Philippe's story was quite interesting as well. His racial encounters were quite... hmmm. His part was complicated, and I liked how it went out. It went sort of backward on him. And I guess that's fate.

Ludacris annoyed me. I don't really get his story.

Pinka-walang kwenta, I guess, was Julia Roberts and Brendan Fraser. They've got depth on their part. But they're stories weren't deepened that well. I wish they had though. It seemed promising.

Anyhow. Great movie. Could be better though. :D


That's it for now. I have seven more to review.
But it's 3:15am and I'm going to the cemetery tomorrow morning. So I'm off to bed. :D

Just have to mention. I didn't think my movie reviews would be like this.
Check my older ones.... they're all short.
Hmmm.... I might make a career out of this. lol.
But no... I know I can do better. Haha.

0 reps.: