ang batang masipag, paglaki, pagod. + lightning x7 = the 6th sense. whut?

Sunday, January 11 at 7:40 PM

MOVIES:
Tropic Thunder, The Nanny Diaries, The Sixth Sense, Ang Tanging Ina N'yong Lahat, Wall-E, Changeling and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Okay.
Here are my movie reviews. :D
Sorry kung maiksi sobra. It's been a while since I've seen them

Anyhow. I've decided to put down four star ratings.


TROPIC THUNDER
***

This was a really good movie. Very funny! Of course, too absurd to happen, but nonetheless something great for laughs. And wow... the budget for this film seems really big. What with all the bigtimers: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr, Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey.

Of course, Robert Downey Jr was the standout here. (I mean. He got a Golden Globe nomination. I think he should win. :D) You'll really believe he was an award-winning actor. He really gets into them. Y'know what I mean? And I just learned... he really did the method actor thing off the set.

The NANNY DIARIES
***

I don't know why critics hate the film--I loved it. (Maybe because I can somewhat relate both on the side of the child and the nanny?) It was heart-warming, very very on-the-spot.

I guess the only reason it was said to be bad was because of the climax, which to me was non-existent. They didn't build on it, so there was no effect. There were other points that should've been taken rather than that. So I guess that's what made it weak.

On the other hand, it had a great effect. It was a good film. Enjoyable to watch. And yes, funny. (Might I add, go Alicia!)

QUARANTINE
***1/2

Friggin' hell. This was really scary. Fantastic horror movie. I'm glad this was my first in-cinema horror movie.

What really makes this film scary was how believable it is. It can happen. It might happen. And it is happening. The shaky camerawork was really effective. It's as though you're inside the movie.

I'd like to say KUDOS to Jennifer Carpenter (from The Exorcism of Emily Rose). She was amazing in this film. Really full of emotions, something really required to make this the horror work. (Oh yes... and she just got married. Congrats!)

(I found out this is a remake of an even better-reviewed Spanish film.)

The SIXTH SENSE
***1/2

Amazing movie. Amazing. I wouldn't call it a horror movie though. It lacked the tinge a horror movie (like Quarantine) would give, it dwells more on suspense. But that doesn't matter. It was just amazing.

Haley Joel Osment was really haunting. No wonder he was nominated for an Oscar. Where is he now?

ANG TANGING INA N'YONG LAHAT
***

Becaaaauuussse I have to submit this. Switch tayo to something more formal... and more Filipino.

Ang komedyang Pilipino ay hindi maihahantulad sa mga komedyang Kanluran. Di-katulad ng mga Kanluraning pelikula, walang mautak o purong katatawanan ang ating mga komedya: umaasa ito sa mga spoof at ad lib base sa mga bagay na tanyag sa panahon. Wala rin itong sigurong daloy at punung-puno ng mga singit ng kung anong maisip na eksenang nakakatawa. Kumabaga, slapstick.

Oo, rito nabibilang ang pelikulang Ang Tanging Ina N’yong Lahat. Subalit nakahihigit ito mula sa ibang pelikulang Pilipino sapagkat ang istorya nito ay may katuturan at may dinadalhan. May nararating ang kanyang kwento kung ikukumpara sa iban nating mga komedya na tanging “ANO?” ang maitatanong matapos masaksihan ang katapusang walang katuturan. Kumabaga, may delikadesa rin naman ang sineng ito.

Ipinagpapatuloy ng pelikula ang kwento ni Ina, ang nanay na may isang dosenang anak (bagamat hindi sila kumpleto sa pagkakataong ito) at may kung anu-anong trabaho. Ngunit, ngayon, hindi lang siya construction worker o may-ari ng karinderya: presidente na siya ng ating bansa!

Bagamat, di-kapani-paniwala ang premise nito, simple lang ang iniikutan ng kanyang istorya. Ito ang paghahanap ni Ina ng kanyang lugar sa puso ng kanyang mga anak. Kumbaga, “Ano ang kailangan kong gawin upang maipagmalaki ako ng aking mga anak?”

Ito siguro ang isa sa mga rason kung bakit ko nagustuhan ang pelikula: makabago ang kanyang paksa. Punung-puno ang mga sinehan ngayon ng mga pelikulang tungkol sa mga pamilyang unti-unti nagkakawatak-watak di kaya’y ukol sa mga anak at ang kanilang kagustuhan na maipagmalaki sila ng kanilang mga magulang. Pinaiikot ng sineng ito ang gulong at inilalagay naman ang sitwasyon sa kamay ng ina.

Masasabi ba nating ang mga pelikula nating slapstick ay walang kwenta? Marahil, masasabi ng marami na “oo” ang sagot nila riyan. Napakalaki ng mga hinahanap ng mga nagsasabi nito--inaasahan nilang maging kumplikado ngunit pinag-isipan ang isang komedyang Pilipino. Ngunit diyan sila nagkakamali sapagkat ang tangi naman nitong layunin ay patawanin ang madla—ang masa. Dito, hindi lumalagpak ang sineng ito.

Mula man sa mga spoof katulad ng “At forty-ish, can I still do it? I ask myself, ‘Ina, what’s the next you?’ A Student!”, sa mga panalong tugon tulad ng “LOKO!”, sa mga nakakatawang “kasabihan” kagaya ng “Ang aking tinanim, iba ang kumain dahil diet ako.” hanggang sa mga nakakatawang sitwasyon tulad ng pagiging stuntwoman para sa Lobo, siguradong mapapatawa talaga ang sinumang manood nito. Punung-puno ang pelikula ng mga eksenang katawa-tawa na halos mahulog ka na mula sa upuan.

Slapstick na kung slapstick, ngunit nakakatawa at hindi ito maikakaila. Dagdag pa, may dala pa rin itong aral na nakapaloob sa kwentong may katuturan. Ganyan ang hatak ng pelikulang ito.

wow. ang dami kong nasabi ah. o.O
if you're tamad to read that. here's the summary:

  • It's friggin' funny!
  • Lower your expectations. This movie's not made for you. It's made for the masses. Then, YOU'LL ENJOY IT TO THE MAX.
  • Filipino comedy isn't all that bad.
  • You'll really enjoy it if you're watching in a cinema filled with people
  • It will help more kung mga masa ang kasama mo (Am I being discriminatory again?)
  • People who disagee with me: BACK OFF! :| =))

WALL-E
****

Disney is actually promoting this for a Best Picture nomination. I say, why not? I'm definite it has a shot at it. It's probably one of the best films this year. Hands down.

I don't think I have to say anything more. :D

ONCE
**1/2

The film wasn't at all THAT captivating. It was boring, I have to say.

But what's worth watching about the movie is the soundtrack. Fudge. All the songs were amazing. They're all driven with so much emotion and power. They were mesmerizing. If I'm not mistaken, this stole the coveted music award in the Oscars from Enchanted. I can say they rightfully deserve it.

But I guess you can say the chemistry was amazing between the two main characters. (In fact, they ended up together in real life.) And the ending, though unwished, was quite (as Ebert would say it) magical. It truly was.

This is one of those movies I'd give a low score but I loved very much and would hate myself if I didn't watch it.

CHANGELING
***

Brilliance, I think, would be the best word to describe this film. Though not in the sense that it's all perfect. Just brilliant in the way that it was moving and beautiful. It ended with something truly heartwarming, truly beautiful.

And Angelina Jolie was friggin' amazing. AMAZING.
For once, she has my respect. :)) If there's only one thing to summarize this film, it's intense grief. With Angelina in the role of a mother, her portrayal was outstanding. Definitely worth the Oscar nod being buzzed about. (Although it might go to Meryl Streep. Gahd, that trailer.)

There's not much else I need to say.

The CURIOUS CASE of BENJAMIN BUTTON
****

Now, I can see why this film is a fierce contender in the Oscars. It was absolutely amazing. I never really thought much about it and really want excited about seeing it. While reading the synopsisa few months back, I went "A man aging backwards... like that's anything." But I guess what caught me was the trailer. It started to seem intriguing. But still, I didn't think too highly of it.

But damn. It was fantastic.

I don't think there was any standout performance in the film. Nothing seemed like it should win an acting award. However, it doesn't mean acting is not at par. If there is something it should win when it comes to performance, it's that of Outstanding Performance by a Cast. (lest of course Doubt proves them otherwise) Each portrayal was deeply detailed and finely done. They really work good together.

The story was, of course, beautiful. Wonderfully written. It didn't feel rushed or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one the big thing. ;)

Oh. Btw. It had so much good quotes. I have to put them in:

"Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"
"Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss."
"I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."
"It's a funny thing about coming home. Looks the same. Smells the same. Feels the same. You'll realize what's changed... is you."
My favorite: "We're meant to lose the people we love. How else would we know how important they are to us?"

0 reps.: