What's It Like to Be Fired?

Sunday, January 17 at 6:30 PM
'Coz that's how crazy I am. Before I even decide on my college course or on the job I'm going to choose, I'm already thinking about being fired. Strange.

No. It's prolly because I just watched the first few scenes of Up in the Air. (It's a brilliant film, I must say. And I haven't even finished it yet.) I'm definitely going to watch it again. I've just recently added it to the list of films I must see again before I decide on my future. Crazy, no?
In the same list is Revolutionary Road (Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio) and... Okay, crap. I've forgotten what they are. Damn.

Anyhow. I said I owe it to my parents to actually blog about this, so here goes.
I made it into the Ateneo! :D But not just that: MANAGEMENT HONORS. *pride*

So here's the dilemma: I have a 100% full scholarship in UA&P. I dunno. When people around you keep talking about it too much, things like these seem to be so much of a drag. My father said I should think about the pros and cons of this. (We'll he's said a lot of things. And he's trying to pry for schtuff I don't really want to talk about. Gahd. College talk is such a drag.)

So here I am. Not necessarily a pro or con table. Just me and my thoughts. Yours would help a lot as well. So yeah, do comment.


COURSE
It's Entrepreneurial Management versus Management Honors. I guess EM was pretty much designed for business men, considering you have to start a business by fourth year. You don't have to write a thesis, but if you don't make the minimum profit level, you won't graduate. It's the top course of the university and (according to a teacher--and my supposed half-aunt :|) it's based on AIM's curriculum. (AIM being the top business school of the country.)

Management Honors is also one of the toughest courses of the Ateneo. I think I might go full-on nerd if I do take it. Quite scary also. Considering only 5-15 people get to fully complete the course, it is scary. But I like challenges, though the question would be if I can handle this challenge. But post-college, I hear there's a lot of very good offers for them. I dunno.

Either way both courses require a heavy deal of schtuff I don't really enjoy--I think. I haven't tried my hand in accountancy or statistics. But the sheer gravitas of the words are scary. ACCOUNTANCY. STATISTICS. Shivers. I don't think I'm that bad at math--just careless. I do best in Trig and Geom. But oh wells.

Why am I even in here? Don't you expect me to be in Theater Arts or something? Lol.


NAMES
Pretty much both schools have good names--I think. Well, in the business world, both do make names.

However, I did have this awkward conversation:
"Where'd you pass?" "In Ateneo and UA&P." "UNNP?" "UA&P "Where's that?" "In Ortigas." "Uhh... I dunno that." That isn't verbatim. But you get the point.
Iba pa rin ang Ateneo.

But then, if I graduate from UA&P, I'd have "full scholar" attached to my name. That's quite impressive in resumes as well, if you think about it. Though, I've been reading up on these UA&P magazines, and it said that they had a hundred scholars the past year. So is it really that impressive?


THEATER
Okay. I don't think you should expect this to be missing. I think I wanna keep doing this. UA&P has this theater org called Kultura. Based on their magazine and the posters I saw, the only thing I recognized that they did was Charlie Brown. The rest were... I dunno really. It's a small theater group, and well, it is a small school.

Ateneo on the other hand has three of them. And I believe they do some impressive material. However, if I do take the course, would I even have time for it? Which goes the same for other probable orgs.


FRIENDS
Hmmm. I dunno who's passed UA&P. Seriously. There's Charles, but he's a definite Lasalista. So consider it a very, very fresh start. It's like a reset button on friends.

On the other hand, a lot of Xaverians will be in the Ateneo. I used to talk about going to UP being really great 'coz I'd be exposed to more people--meaning less Xaverians. But you know what, there will be other people as well. And I don't think this'd be a problem.


SCHOOL
I dunno, but I'm more comfortable in Ateneo. It feels very homey. I've been to UA&P a couple of times already, but it still feels sorta rigid and stuff. I like how Ateneo's more green and definitely much bigger. Also, Katipunan is my home already. ;)

And did I mention it is bigger. More people. Though, the thing about being UA&P is that it'll be much easier to shine in a small crowd.


REPUTATION/EDUCATION
How good of an education will I get from both schools? I'm quite certain about Ateneo, but seriously, I don't know that much about UA&P to even say anything. Practically the only thing I hear about is "Armani and Prada" which I don't think is an accurate description.


I'll have a decision by Tuesday morning. I'm already past my scholarship deadline actually. But they said, if I called early enough, the slot might still be open. So the question remains open. One way or the other, there's an opportunity that's going to be lost.

0 reps.: